AN ECONOMIZER SAVES BOILER ENERGY CONSUMPTION
An average boiler operates with an efficiency of approximately 66%, which means that 34% of the energy can be considered waste heat. An economizer, also called regenerators, is a type of heat exchanger that recovers heat from flue gasses to preheat fluids or puts it to use in another part of the production process. This recovery process saves on fuel consumption and costs, as well as it reduces the CO2 emission.
Investing in an economizer increases the efficiency with 8%. Including both an economizer and an air preheater realizes an even higher efficiency of 20%.
MANY TYPES OF ECONOMIZERS
At Geurts, we engineer many types of economizers, or heat exchangers. For a boiler or steam generators fueled by natural gas, oil and biogas, both traditional tubes and finned tubes are applied depending on your production requirements. For a boiler fueled by coal, only regular tubes are optional due to the ash fouling.
Example industries for economizers:
- Energy (power plant, combined heat and power (CHP), gas-fired, oil-fired, coal-fired and biomass-fired)
- Energy-from-Waste plants (household, hazardous, and hospital waste)
- Steel industry
- Oil and gas industry
- Pulp and paper industry
- Chemical industry
- Food industry
- Pharmaceutical industry
Economizers provide many advantages:
- Increase in production process efficiency
- Reduced emission of CO2 and other toxic combustible wastes
- Lower energy consumption
- Reduced cost
- Suitable for all standard fuels
- Suitable for all waste heat and flue gas boiler types
- Easy retrofit into existing installations
- Short return on investment (commonly within 1 year)
At Geurts, we build customized economizers meeting your specific requirements. Please contact us for more information.